Friday, September 14, 2012

I Need to Meditate, or, The Post in Which I Reveal My Lack Of Center

Another little costuming bonbon with which to avoid the Petticoat of Doom: A dainty little purse!

Whilst neatening up the workshop I came across a purse frame I'd bought some time ago in a burst of enthusiasm after reading a tutorial on vintage style purse construction at the Madam's Mercantile page at BustleDress.com.

I rooted around the scraps box and found a piece of buff colored linen from a lady's motoring duster I made for last year's Rural Heritage Day. I backed it with a piece of woven cotton fusible interfacing for body and cut according to the pattern I'd made following the tutorial. It's lined with the green silk from the latest parasol scraps.


For decoration I decided to embroider. I stink at embroidery. I can execute with variable skill exactly two stitches: Stem, and Lazy Daisy. I recall what I really should be doing, (doom...DOOM!) and press on.


I have legit embroidery floss, but I use that for tailor's tacks in pattern marking. For this project at which I'm doomed (DOOM!) to stunning mediocrity, I used nigh-unmanageable threads frayed from suitably autumnal-colored silk scraps. Pro-tip TalentlessHack-tip: Spit helps tame the threads when they get fuzzy. 

The purse frame I used had the distinction of having been painted with a sort of gold-ish automotive touch-up urethane at one time, but only on one side. I guess I just couldn't spare two more minutes for  the other side and now the gold paint is dried in the little jar. :-/ There are only so many solvent vapors one can inhale before one's fingertips begin to tingle, so to disguise the less than complete removal of the gold I scrubbed in a bit of jewelry making gilders paste. 




I use a toothbrush to scrub it in the crevices.





My purse is quite small, so I added a bottom panel. I like the plumpness. 




So yeah, lack of center:


Perhaps I don't need meditation, just a little measuring. 

Madam's tutorial is fantastic. Without the blight embroidery, this little bag would take maybe three hours to make. Next time I'll use some red velvet that I have in the scraps box. 

No comments:

Post a Comment