Monday, September 10, 2012

The Welcome Distraction Parasol

Even if I didn't need distraction from the corded petticoat of doom, I just love parasols. This new one is made of green silk taffeta gotten majorly on sale at Hancock's. Five bucks a yard! Woot! Like most of my fabric, I bought it because I love it. Didn't really have a purpose for it at the time. Have just now realized it's a spot on match for this fabric combo I got a few years ago:


I definitely feel a dress coming on...

Anyway, on the last parasol post I mentioned that I would try seaming the panels with a serger rolled edge. Not sure that was a great idea. It works as a seam, but without having an absolute thread match I think the seam is so much more visible than a fold-and-stitch seam. You might need to click on the pictures for the larger view to get a better idea of the not quite matching color . 




The original parasol was ivory colored so I painted the handle and ribs brown. The rib tip guards I replaced with my favorite button. I use these little guys in so many ways. The button is plastic, so I can cut them, drill into them, modify them however I need to.  For this application, I cut off the shanks with scissors and drilled a tiny hole just a bit bigger than the rib end. 


You can better see what I mean about the serger thread color here as well.

Then I used the same small drill bit to make a hole across the width of the button so I could sew it to the parasol cover. 



Once the button tips are all sewn onto the cover, the tips slide onto the ribs.



I used a different button to decorate the handle bottom this time. 



The finished parasol has a knife pleated ruffle and bias band trim. 



Ah. I feel better now. :o)

1 comment:

  1. You're a parasol making machine! I still need to get some spray paint so I can finish mine. I have the panels cut out! That's a start!

    ReplyDelete